![]() |
| Not exactly me, but that's how I feel |
With the red-eye flight to Brisbane looming on Saturday night, this week was all about keeping the legs moving, letting common sense prevail, and officially closing out this marathon training cycle.
Here is how the final two workouts of the taper went down.
The Vesak Day Summit: High Intensity, Small Steps
Instead of a flat, predictable road walk, Pat and I decided to tackle the steep inclines of Bukit Timah Hill for a final bit of strength work. Trudging up those slopes felt fantastic, and we covered 6.5 km at a very brisk, solid walking pace of 10:59 min/km.
The real test came on the descent. To protect my joints and avoid rolling down the steep slopes, I utilized a tactical zigzag approach, taking very small, controlled switchback steps. My left knee started off feeling a tad tight at the beginning of the trek, but it loosened up beautifully despite the hilly workout. Just as we were descending, the skies opened up, forcing an early lunch—which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I got some solid stretching in right at the lunch place.
Tuesday Morning: The 3.5km "Common Sense" Shakeout
Tuesday morning was the absolute final "green light" run of the entire training cycle. Coming off the heavy hill work from the day before, my legs definitely felt a tad draggy when I started.
Instead of forcing a specific number or pushing through the heavy feeling, I let common sense prevail. I kept the distance to 3.5 km at a relaxed, decent 10:41 min/km pace, focused on tall posture, and let the muscles gently shake out. It wasn't a workout to build fitness; it was a pure circulatory flush to let my body know it's time to rest up and prepare for the starting corral.
The Taper is Officially Complete
Every single kilometer of training is now officially banked. The hard work is 100% finished, the all-pink race kit is selected, and the "irrational overpacking" into the suitcase has commenced!
Next stop: Changi Airport, a red-eye flight, and the Story Bridge! I will be back with a full report on the Brisbane 10km race this coming Sunday.

Comments
Post a Comment