The Science of Sweat

AI generated

Why Singapore is a Secret Training Chamber:

If you saw me running through Hillier on the 3rd of February (Tuesday), you might have thought I was just another person struggling through the humidity. I clocked 4.41km at a pace of 5.8 km/hr.

On paper, 5.8 km/hr sounds modest. But as I’ve learned, there is a massive difference between "Singapore Speed" and "The Rest of the World Speed."

The 2-Hour Cut-off :

Training for the Brisbane 10km in Singapore is like training in a weighted vest that you can’t take off. Here’s the technical breakdown of what happened to my body during those 45 minutes:

1. The Cooling Tax : In the 32°C Singapore heat, my heart has two jobs. Job A is to move my legs. Job B is to pump blood to the surface of my skin to keep me from overheating. In Brisbane’s 11°C winter, Job B practically disappears. That extra energy goes straight into my stride.

2. The Humidity Resistance With humidity often sitting at 80%+, my sweat doesn't evaporate; it just sits there. This makes my internal "engine" run hotter. Research suggests that for every 5% increase in humidity above 50%, your heart rate can increase by several beats per minute for the exact same pace.

3. The "Free Speed" Forecast Based on the "Dew Point Conversion" used by many coaches, running at 5.8 km/hr in Singapore humidity is equivalent to running roughly 6.3 - 6.5 km/hr in dry, cool conditions.

The Brisbane 10km has a strict 2-hour cut-off. To finish, I need to maintain 5.0 km/hr.

By training at 5.8 km/hr in the Singapore "sauna," I am building a massive aerobic buffer. When I land in Queensland and feel that crisp 11-degree breeze on my face, I won't just be running; I’ll be flying. My current "slow" pace is actually a high-intensity workout in disguise.

Current Verdict: The heat is my coach, the humidity is my resistance band, and June is going to be glorious.




 

Comments