![]() |
| No shame being a beginner! It's better to start than not at all. |
This was the week everything changed. Going into Week 7, the goal was simple: keep the legs moving and build the base. I didn’t expect to end the week standing at the 10.01km mark, having officially conquered my race distance for the first time.
Tuesday & Thursday: Finding the Rhythm
The week started with a bit of "weather tax." Tuesday’s recovery was a humid 4.32km where I focused on my "T-Rex" form to keep my shoulders quiet. Thursday stepped things up—5.8km through the post-storm steam on the Rail Corridor. I experimented with a 150 BPM melodic house track, and despite some technical "fiddling" with the music app, I found a beautiful flow. I even overshot my 5km goal because the vibe was just too good to stop.
Saturday: The "Big One" (10.01km | 10:08 min/km)
Saturday was the true test. I went into it feeling rested and ready. At the 5km mark, I officially graduated to "pro" status—I had my first mid-run coffee GU gel. It was surprisingly delicious and gave me exactly the mental boost I needed for the second half.
The run wasn't without its challenges. Around the 7km-8km mark, my knees started to make their "presence" known. I didn't panic; I just shortened my stride, focused on smaller steps, and the knees went quiet.
The most unexpected highlight? The music. My metronome died on me emotionally around 7km, so I switched to Boney M’s Rasputin. There is something about that beat that just demands you keep moving. I used that energy to push through the "hot toe" sensation in the final 2km and hit that glorious 10.01km finish line.
The Post-Run Reality
I must have timed the caffeine perfectly because instead of collapsing on the sofa, I spent the next hour vacuuming the house!
Lessons Learned for Week 7:
Gear Matters: 10km is where you notice the small things. I’m switching to "Window Lacing" to give my toes more room to swell.
Listen to the Body: Shortening my stride saved my knees today.
Fuel is Key: The gel worked. GU coffee means steady energy.
Stats at a Glance:
Total Weekly Distance: 20.13 km (A new PB!)
Longest Run: 10.01 km
Average Pace: 10:08 min/km
Current Mood: Brisbane 10K, I see you!

Comments
Post a Comment